A set of items in an order that need to be shipped together can be grouped into a Shipment.
Once the facility is allocated, one or more shipments can be created per order depending on the channel these orders belong to.
Here’s how a shipment is related to an order:
This article will cover three main aspects of order processing:
- Create shipments one by one
- Click on the order number to go to the order details screen. Here, you can select the Items that you want add to a shipment.
- Create shipments in bulk
- Under orders, in the Summary Page, select the filter Pending Shipment
- Select the orders and click on Create Shipment button
- When you click on Create Shipments, a pop-up will open with the following options
- Select the appropriate option and click on Pack. Primaseller will create shipments for each order/order item depending on the channel configuration & fulfillability. A success/failure message will be displayed accordingly.
Here are the steps involved in processing shipments:
- Printing invoices
- Printing Picklist and Packing Slips
- Assigning a shipper
- Assigning a tracking number (AWB)
- Printing shipment labels
- Shipping the shipment either
- directly OR
- via a Manifest of Shipments
Each shipment can have an Invoice which can be generated either
- During Create Shipment by checking the box, Create Invoice
- by clicking on Print Invoice after selecting that shipment.
Printing Picklist and Packing Slips
Read more about Picking and Packing your shipments.
Assigning a Shipper
You can assign a shipper either individually for each shipment or in bulk for multiple shipments.
Assigning a shipper for each shipment
- Navigate to the order details page and from the Shipments section click “Assign Shipper” under the Actions drop down list.
- Provide Shipment Dimensions
Provide the dimensions and weight of the shipment that you are about to process. If your shipment contains only one order item, then the package dimensions and weight will be fetched from pre-saved data for the SKU.
- Select a Shipper
Depending on the shipper configuration settings, you can either select one of the integrated shippers or the channel’s shipper or a custom shipper which you added to process your shipments.
Click here to read more about shipper configurations.
Assigning Shippers in Bulk
Click here to read about assigning shippers to Shipments in bulk.
Assign a Tracking Number (AWB)
You can add tracking numbers in two ways:
- Manually: do this either one by one, or in bulk using CSV (comma separated values)
- Fetched automatically: in case of Channel Shippers and Integrated Shippers
Printing Shipment Labels
This functionality is available only to those shipments for which the shipper and AWB numbers have been assigned and are in the Ready to Ship stage. To print shipment labels in bulk, select Print Shipment Labels from the Bulk Actions drop down list after selecting multiple shipments.
Shipping the Shipment
You can mark shipments as Shipped after assigning a shipper. This will do the following:
- Close Invoices associated with the Shipment
- Decrease Blocked Quantity of the Shipment
- Change status of items as shipped
- Update status to online channels if this was an online order
Creating a Shipping Manifest (Optional)
A manifest is a collection of shipments. You can add shipments to an open manifest but not to a closed manifest. Once you are done with assigning a shipper (required), printing of invoices and shipment labels (optional), you can manifest your shipments.
Learn more about Shipping Shipments via a Manifest from this link.
- Adding a shipment to a manifest is an optional step (except for Royal Mail and Canada Post Shipments). You can also mark a shipment as shipped without adding it to a manifest. Once a manifest is marked as shipped or the shipment is shipped, the invoice will be deemed as closed and order items can not be cancelled from it henceforth – they can only be returned.
Discarding a Shipment
A shipment can be discarded only before it is marked as shipped. This will remove all the items from the shipment, and it will then be marked as discarded. If an invoice was already printed for the discarded shipment, then all the items from the invoice will also be removed and it will be marked as void.
Status of a Shipment
- Packed: As soon as a shipment is created, its status becomes Packed.
- Ready to Ship: Once a shipper is assigned to a shipment, the status is auto-updated to Ready to Ship. You can also manually override shipments from “Packed” to “Ready to Ship” without providing shipper details.
- Shipped: On marking a manifest as shipped, all the constituent shipments will also be marked as shipped. A shipment can be marked as shipped manually as well by skipping a few interim steps like adding the shipper and AWB numbers, or by adding it to a manifest.
Since Primaseller allows you to add or remove order items from any shipment before it is marked as Ready to Ship, there are chances that you may have a few empty shipments as well. While empty shipments cannot be processed further, shipments with items can complete their journey by achieving one of the terminal stages which are:
- An empty shipment can only be marked as Discarded. It cannot be marked as Shipped or Delivered, etc.
- Only pre-shipped shipments can be marked Discarded. Once they are Shipped, they can either be Delivered or Rejected (status will be Reject in Progress).
- Only Shipped and Reject in Progress Shipments can be marked as Lost.
- Only Shipped shipments can be marked as Delivered.
- Each and every operation can be performed in bulk (by selecting any number of shipments) or individually (from the Order Details screen).
Q. Can I create shipments in bulk?
A. Yes you can! Just select the orders for which you want to create shipments and click on Create Shipments.
Q. I tried to create a shipment, but it failed. Why?
A. Creation of shipment can fail due to various reasons like:
- A facility is not assigned to that order.
- you are trying to create partial shipment for an order which belongs to a channel that does not allow partial shipments.
- a few of the order items have insufficient inventory, i.e. they are unfulfillable, and you are trying to add them to the Shipment without adding stock or selecting force fulfillment as the option.
- shipment has already been created.
Q. Some of my order items have the Unfulfillable tag. Can I make a shipment for them?
A. Yes. Primaseller allows you to add them to shipments. Primaseller will give you a message that you don’t have sufficient inventory to fulfill that order but you can proceed by selecting the force fulfil option.
Q. Some of my order items have the Unmapped tag, can I make a shipment for them?
A. Yes. You can make a shipment for them and proceed with order processing in the usual manner. But the inventory for such products will not be managed across multiple channels from Primaseller.
Q. Will Invoices be auto-created as soon as a shipment is created?
A. Yes, only if you have checked the option “Create Invoice” while creating Shipments.